1. Get Physical
From Okinawa to Sardinia, the healthiest people in the world all have one thing in common: they build physical activity into their day. Doctors recommend at least 30 minutes of physical activity at least 5 times per week. It doesn't matter if it's walking, cycling, or yoga. The key is to get your heart rate up.
- Find ways to fit activity into your existing routine
- Consider working out at home to save time and money
- Make sure to eat the right foods before working out
Hydration is so fundamental to health that it usually gets overlooked. Your body is comprised of around 70 percent water, which means staying hydrated is crucial in helping increase circulation, keeping your skin fresh, maintaining energy levels, lubricating joints, and clearing toxins from your body. Water can, in fact, be quite challenging for some people to drink, as the lack of flavor can make you more cognizant of the act of swallowing, which can induce a gag reflex.
- Know how much water you need every day
- Read our Hydration Guide for People Who Hate to Drink Water
- Make your water taste good with a healthy drink mix powder
3. Reduce Calories
What you eat certainly matters, but how much you eat can be even more important. Portion sizes in the United States have been steadily increasing, even while activity levels are declining. That's not a story that ends well. Portion control and limiting processed (and often high calorie) foods are essential for maintaining a healthy weight. Reduced calorie intake has also been shown to increase life expectancy, even for people with a healthy BMI (NIH Study).
- Be thoughtful about how you eat
- Check out our Low Calorie Meal Plan
- Learn about Intermittent Fasting and decide if its right for you
4. Cut Back on Sugar
Let's face it, sugar is everywhere (see: 6 Names for Hidden Sugars) and we are consuming it in ever greater quantities. High sugar intake is one of the primary causes of obesity and insulin resistance (NIH Study). Cutting back on sugar in your diet can have enormous health benefits (see: 7 Benefits of a Sugar Detox), such as:
- Losing weight and preventing obesity
- More energy throughout the day
- Clearer skin
- Fewer mood swings
- Reduced inflammation
- Reduced risk of digestive conditions
- Reduced risk for type 2 diabetes
- Figure out how much sugar is too much
- Replace sugary drinks with a sugar-free drink mix
- Replace sweets with a low-sugar desserts
- Consider doing a 10-Day Sugar Detox
Now go make today great!