Top 10 Benefits Of The Keto Diet
The Ketogenic or Keto diet has gained immense popularity amongst those who want to lose weight quickly. Keto meals involve high fats, moderate proteins, and low carbohydrates. This kind of diet can put your body in a state of ketosis, wherein ketones are produced in the liver and used as energy instead of carbs.
If you are following the Keto diet then you can either have three complete meals a day or 5-6 small meals. You should avoid eating processed foods, sugary desserts, and packaged meals. Since it is advisable to eat fresh home-cooked food, you can make use of an instant pot, which will reduce the cooking hours of time-consuming recipes. Moreover, for your daily intake of proteins, you can use the vegan protein powder to make baked delicacies or protein bars.
Additionally, you need to keep a watch on your carbs and include plenty of avocados, butter, cheese, poultry, seafood, coconut oil, eggs, etc. in your meals. The Keto diet provides plenty of benefits if followed religiously. Listed below are the top 10 benefits of the Keto diet.
- Helpful For Diabetic Patients – Since you are cutting carbs from your diet, your blood sugar and insulin levels will reduce considerably. Research shows that people suffering from Type 2 diabetes had reduced their insulin dosage to almost 90% within six months (Source: Diet Doctor). It is advisable to speak to your doctor before starting with the Keto diet as your daily dosage of medications might be reduced.
- Reduces The Risk Of Several Diseases –The main factor for several common diseases like kidney failure, heart ailments, and stroke is increase in blood pressure. Low-carb diet will automatically lower blood pressure, thus reducing the risk of several diseases. Moreover, the Keto diet has also proven beneficial in treating children of epilepsy and other brain-related ailments (Source: Hopkins Medicine).
- Speeds Up Weight Loss In The Beginning – In comparison to other diets, the Keto diet helps in reducing weight quickly, especially in the first two weeks. Your body requires more time to turn fat into energy and lesser time to turn carbs into energy, so low-carb diets lose weight quickly. However, research shows that over a period of time, overweight adults on low-fat diet and low-carb diet lost similar amounts of weight.
- Controls Cravings – Keto diets help in reducing blood sugar levels, which thereby controls your cravings. Your fat and protein diet is more filling and takes time to digest in comparison to carbohydrates. So, you may even stay without eating for longer duration of time and make better food choices. The high-fat diet works as a great appetite suppressant, thus reducing cravings and leading to weight loss.
- Decreases Bad Cholesterol – The Keto diet not only helps in reducing weight but also decreases cholesterol levels. As the intake of carbs is reduced, it has been beneficial in reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol. So, even though it is a fat-rich diet, studies have shown that it helps in improving your heart health.
- Makes You Sleep Well – When you start with the Keto diet, you may feel restless and experience insomnia for 3-5 days. However, once your body gets adjusted to ketosis and burning of stored fats, you will be able to sleep for longer and deeper. This can have a wonderful effect on your job as you will wake up fresh and relaxed.
- Reduces Abdominal Obesity – Abdominal obesity or visceral fat refers to the excessive weight that has been developed over time around the abdomen. It can cause several metabolic issues as some of the organs like liver or pancreas may be affected. The easiest way to reduce visceral fat is by having low-carb diets, which is possible by following the Keto diet.
- Reduces Risk of PCOS – New research suggests that females suffering from PCOS should have a low-carbohydrate diet so that it improves insulin sensitivity and aids in weight loss. The exact cause of PCOS is unknown, but if the risk is reduced by making a few changes in lifestyle then there is no harm in trying. This is the reason several doctors have now started suggesting Keto diets for women suffering with PCOS.
- May Treat Cancer – A latest study has shown that keeping blood sugar under control by following the Keto diet can treat certain types of cancers. Some cancers rely heavily on glucose for energy, and through the diet you can restrict their access to sugar. Thus, the diet can boost the efficiency of standard chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Improves Acne – There are many causes of acne and among them one of the most evident causes is the food that you eat. Carbohydrates can be the main culprit in acne as it has a negative effect on hormonal regulation. By following the Keto diet, your consumption of carbohydrates is reduced considerably, thus, making your skin clear of acnes.
All in all, the Keto diet can bring a complete change in your lifestyle. However, some physical changes like fatigue, mood swings, constipation, and depression can accompany this weight-loss regimen and may make it difficult for you to sustain the diet. Determination and proper meal planning can make a big difference and help you stick with the Keto diet.
Written by ASTraveler for Everly